Thursday 3 March 2011

DRAWING ROOM VS BATHROOM

I was always a clumsy person and still am. My room was a filthy place and everyday me and my mom fought Kargil war on the issue of cleaning my room. The situation worsened as I went to college. During my college days I befriended a lot of people and due to my reputation of being a decent student a lot of them came to my place to study. My mother became more concerned. The day my friends were supposed to come I got an idea, I took a huge bed sheet and covered all the loitered books and clothes on my bed, took a broom and pushed the dirt under my bed and showed my mom "Mom,look I have cleaned the room". My Mom replied, calm as cucumber "Son, no matter how much you decorate your Drawing Room if your Bathroom is filthy your house still needs care" and she left. And like just another average boy I got back to work and lit a cigarette (whose but would eventually be thrown on the floor). As life moved on I realized the meaning of what Mom had said at that time. The summary is address the problem and do not try to cover it up. 
Every year the Budget session comes as a new hope for Billions of Indians. Average middle class struggling to meet both ends think they would have some respite from the huge burden of maintaining a family. India is a peculiar country where of a family of ten, nine stay back home waiting for that one man, who has gone to fight the daily battle, to come back home and feed them. It is this man who is the mitochondria of the family cell. His sister blames him for not arranging the dowry for which she could not marry the hunk next door. His mother with a moist eyes ask whether this time he is taking his father to the best doctor in town. His wife refuses him of pleasure as the diwali gift promised did not materialize. And above all his only son tells him stories about a certain Kavish Jagwani in school who when enters Class II D the whole class is full of the fragrance of the costliest perfume in town. Sounds like a melodramatic Hindi Cinema friends? But this is the life of an average middle class Indian. The lower middle class and poor are in conditions worse than stated above. Still each year one billion Indians look forward to the budget. Or, do they? 
Does Yunus chaiwala or Krishnapada, the farmer care about the budget anymore? Does the budget call for their betterment? Has the situation improved? The answer lies in what my Mother had said long ago. The condition is same for all the BRIC countries. The GDP of our country is growing with leaps and bounds but so is the inflation. The reserve bank is busy with it's repo rates as the farmers commit suicides. Above all the mantra is don't think of recuperating in a clean and comfortable nursing home because that would cost you more. Hospitality Industry has already become agony and now FM adds salt to the wound. Thanks Sir!
According to the media there are lot of positives for the agriculture and infrastructure. Let's hope this is true. Sustainable development calls for development all over and not rich becoming richer. Let's hope this time we have decent curtains in the drawing room but not putting the bathroom into stake. Joker signs off saying that our honorable FM has opened the Pandora's Box once again and we have no other choice than to depend on the Hope Fairy and so friends Hope for the Best but still prepare for the worst.



No comments:

Post a Comment