Friday 18 February 2011

THE BIG EVENT

The Cricket World Cup has always been one of the most important festivals in India. Cricket, which is one of the religion among the several religions in India, has often brought the whole country to stand-still. People on streets biting nails, praying to god, refusing to go home to do the daily household chores would be a common feature in the next one month. As for me, I opened my eyes in the world with my country as the defending champion and my city slowly but steadily shying away from it's once favorite sport Football towards the one where India started gaining global reputation.Thus for me the cricket world cup is a major event where my country starts as one of the favorites rather than Football or Hockey World Cup where  Indian team always   provides us with excuses rather than spirited performances. In the last World Cup I was back home down and out with Bangladesh defeating my team and advancing to the next round. A team which was expected to win the Cup returned home losing their very first game shattered all our dreams as avid cricket lovers. I was explaining this feeling to my fellow researcher Mamun (from Bangladesh) who shared his feeling how happy he was on the same day! Today we met in the lab in the morning and besides all research related discussion he reminded me that the match starts exactly at 1:30 at night and not 2:30 (we generally follow the 12 hour difference convention between India and Canada) which ensured that I won't miss the first few overs. This new feeling of able to see what the opponents feel on a match day happened to me for the first time.  But believe me, it is quite exciting ands quite embarrassing at the same time. Nevertheless hope India wins and as millions back home would say Joker  signs off saying "De Ghuma Ke".

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I m expecting u write something about the wonderful ending of THE BIG EVENT.

    ReplyDelete