Thursday 24 February 2011

The Coming Back

The word 'Reunion' has a huge significance in my life. Being just another average boy studying Chemical Engineering and looking for a decent job, a beautiful wife and a spacious flat I never thought that the department standing in the corner of Raja S.C.Mullick Road was the only real property I have. It housed me for four precious years of my life, taught me how to take challenges and above all made a man out of me. In 2007 the opportunity arose out of nowhere when four dear friends became associated with the recommencing of 'Reunion' in the Chemical Engineering Department. My friend Saptarshi christened it 'CHEMBridge' to bridge the diaspora of JU Chemical Engineers. And then, we met a man whom during my first meeting I thought was insane as he had planned a Magnum Opus and not a reunion(which I had conceived in my mind). I was apprehensive to count the chickens before they hatch but when I looked into Sir's eyes I found something inexplicable.Something which took an overtly pessimistic guy like me into his confidence. It never occurred to me at that time, that this association was going to be an association for lifetime. Mr.Alok Basu became Sir for us and we became his extended family. 
There is a jinx that all the members of Chembridge 2008 are never together at a single place for any event after Chembridge 2008. Someone definitely misses out. Recently when Saptarshi got married everyone from Prof. Ranjana Chowdhury (the then Treasurer) to Mr. Alok Basu (the Lifetime Secretary) were present. Even the ever busy Nitin Khanna was there. But yours truly played spoilsport there. Sitting in Canada pursuing my dream to join Academia I am missing the most precious event of my life CHEMBridge 2011. I missed my best friend's wedding, my brother Anirbanda got married in my absence and now CHEMBridge. Hope I do something constructive with my life because to pursue my dreams I have sacrificed some really priceless memories of which I could have been a part of. Joker signs off wishing all the best to the  current organizing committee and praying to GOD that the Department of Chemical Engineering Jadavpur University become the best department in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Hope it holds the same meaning every year for every organizing committee. By the way, Alok Basu will start shouting the moment he reads this...(lifetime secretary)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...very good writing skill along with your verbal skill...nice words...keep it up, Subhayan!!!

    ReplyDelete